Tuesday, May 26, 2009

CHAPTER NINE ENTRY

"Google is currently attempting to scan and digitize more than 50 million books from five of the largest research libraries from around the world." (pp. 129)

I did not know this. I don't really like to read book online. I don't think I could read an entire book online actually. I prefer to carry the full text in a bound version. But I will agree, that this technology is certainly changing the world.

"For more than a hundred years we have defined being literate as being able to read and to write. And although those sore abilities are still central to learning, they are no longer enough to ensure understanding."

So true, so true. This is the world we live in and the world the next generation is continuing to shape. Educators MUST stay on top of technology in order to generate literate students ready to compete in the modern world.

"If we fail to graduate students who are not able to create, sustain, and participate in these networks in safe, ethical, and effective ways, we've done them a disservice."

I like the Internet as a mode of publication that moves the classroom out into the real world. SO more than a teacher and perhaps a classmate sees what students are creating. It is a collaborative environment and an inspirational tool.


"Big Shift #4: Teaching Is Conversation, Not Lecture" ---Well, DUH--This is how is ought to be whether the Internet is being used or not! Out with the days of endless boring lectures!

No comments:

Post a Comment