All right, it is the next to last chapter. There is nothing like some good text book reading to get you going. (lol) --And I've done a great deal of text book reading since I've been in this program. UGH.
OK, so back to Chapter 8. "Podcasting is basically the creation and distribution of amateur radio, plain and simple." (pp. 110) I'm not really into the creating Podcasting thing, but I'm not going to dismiss it because I think some students might really enjoy it. I'd really like to learn more about screencasting and live streaming. They sound much more engaging and involved to me. I did like the idea of being able to download new programs "like Meet the Press and 60 Minutes, and many radio shows like Fresh Air from NPR" and then listening to them later on an Ipod. Of course, I don't actually own an Ipod, but if I did this would definitely be something I'd want to learn to use.
YouTube has invaded nearly every student's Internet use. Teachers really need to know about this just to keep up with what kids are doing. I've used YouTube video as part of a lesson, but I really frown of surfing YouTube to kill the last ten minutes of class. I know this happens a lot when teachers choose to abuse their special YouTube privileges. Oh, I've also used TeacherTube, but most of the time I don't have much luck with this site.
Screencasting and Live Streaming--Now this sounds super cool! I student taught at North Oldham High School and they used to have a weekly screencast/ live stream show put on by students about school news and the morning announcements. They put a lot of effects into it and the students watching were really into it. They definitely paid much more attention to the screencast show then to the usual morning announcements over the intercom. Even after reading about this in the book, I'm still confused about how it actually works--but given a few hours and some techie students to help along this would be something I'd like to attempt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment